- Preheat oven to 170ºC / gas mark 3
- Sieve the flower and baking powder
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or food processor and mix until smooth creamy mixture. You can use and electric hand whisk if you have one.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and cook for 30 mins or until golden brown. The tops of the cakes should spring back when pressed lightly with a finger and a knife comes out cleanly when put into the centre of the cake.
- Turn the sponges out onto a cooling rack and carefully peel back the lining. Leave to cool.
- Spread the jam and whipped cream over the bottom of one and place the other on the top, sprinkle with icing sugar and enjoy.
Cooks Tip – Chocolate Cake
If you need a bit of chocolate just add 2 tbsp cocoa powder and omit the vanilla essence.
You might also like
Lemon & Lime Cake
Our family’s favourite teatime treat, perfect for using up older lemons and limes. An updated version of the classic drizzle cake, this loaf is sweet, citrusy, and unmistakably moreish. View recipe >