Recipe Makeover – Simple & healthy pastry
by Clare Fairs, November 29, 2015
It’s that lovely time of year when it’s cold outside and cosy indoors pottering in the kitchen – creating delicious winter and Christmas treats.
At this time of year I spend a lot of time making pastry for mince pies and other puddings as well as warming savoury dishes.
The other day I was bored of the fiddly job of rubbing butter into the flour, and besides, we know our cold pressed rapeseed oil is healthier than butter! So I thought why not replace the butter for oil!
The results were great – it was much quicker to make – and still tastes really good.
Here’s my recipe – I urge you to try it, or if like some of our family you like mince pie alternatives try it with lemon curd or bakewell tarts in the photograph.
hillfarm Pastry recipe
- 200g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 7 tbs hillfarm cold pressed rapeseed oil
- ¼ cup of water
- Mix together the salt and flour in a bowl
- Add hillfarm cold pressed rapeseed oil using a fork and mix until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add water, the amount will vary depending on your flour so add it bit by bit until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and allow to rest in the fridge for about half an hour before rolling out to use for your mince pies or other tarts!